What are the Steps in a Nevada Car Accident Claim?
Getting into a car accident can be scary and painful—even debilitating. After a crash, you may be at a loss as to what happens next. How will you get money for your medical expenses? What if the insurance company doesn’t believe your claims? Will you have to go to court? You can learn more below about what steps to take and what to expect when you’re filing a claim based on a car accident in Henderson.
- Seek medical care: It is crucial that you see a doctor after an accident. Even if you’re not sure you’ve been injured, having a doctor examine you immediately after a crash can be crucial to your health and provide critical evidence of your condition when you later file a claim. Make sure you save all records related to medical care you receive, along with receipts and proof of other expenses you incur.
- File a claim with the DMV: Nevada car accidents that cause $750 or more in damage or cause physical injuries must be reported to the Nevada DMV within ten days.
- Contact your insurer: Report the accident to your car insurance carrier as soon as possible after an accident. The sooner you report the claim, the sooner that you’ll have the claim resolved. Be sure to keep records of all your contact with your insurer, such as the dates of all phone calls and the names of the representatives.
- Consult with an attorney: Right after a crash, the insurer for the other driver may solicit a recorded statement on the accident from you, or attempt to make a fast settlement offer to resolve your claim. Before you make any statements to the opposing party or accept a settlement, speak to an attorney. Recorded statements you make before you’ve consulted with an attorney could come back to haunt you, and quick settlement offers are often much less than you deserve. Henderson injury attorney David Boehrer can provide an accurate evaluation of your accident claim, helping you know what is or isn’t a reasonable settlement offer, and can handle negotiations with insurers on your behalf.
- Engage in discovery: Once a claim has been filed, both parties will investigate the many aspects of the accident itself, speaking with witnesses and piecing together the circumstances that led to the accident.
- Discuss settlement options: Many car accident claims are settled without parties needing to go to trial to resolve a case. However, insurance companies have large departments full of experienced attorneys, so going into a settlement conference without representation by your own attorney leaves you at a major disadvantage. A Nevada personal injury attorney can make sure that you receive a fair deal from a settlement, and, if no fair settlement offer is made, will help you file a claim in court to get the money you deserve.
- If necessary, file a claim in court: If you’re unable to reach a suitable resolution to your accident claim through settlement negotiations, you’ll need to file a lawsuit against the at-fault driver to get the money you deserve. By hiring an attorney to represent you early in the accident claim process, your attorney will already be familiar with the facts of your case and prepared to file a claim on your behalf should settlement talks fail.
Even where fault for an accident is straightforward or you don’t need to file a claim in court, getting the money you deserve after a Nevada car accident is never simple, and an attorney can help you get the results you need. Hundreds of Henderson accident victims have turned to the dedicated, knowledgeable, and effective attorneys at the David Boehrer Law Firm when they needed help. Nevada accident attorney David Boehrer has dedicated his career to fighting for accident victims and will provide your claim with the personal attention it deserves. Contact him today for a no-cost consultation after a Nevada accident.
Seasoned and Effective Attorneys for Henderson Car Accidents
For assistance in filing an accident claim after a car accident in Henderson, Pahrump, or Boulder City, contact the seasoned and effective Henderson car accident lawyers at the David Boehrer Law Firm for a free evaluation of your claim, at 702-750-0750.